Wednesday 3 April 2013

Hacienda Venecia, Coffee plantation, Manizales, Venezuela.


I have been a bit slack recently with the blog updates having been so busy here and there so decided to buckle down and get it all covered.

Continuing our journey South through the centre of Colombia we are hitting the main coffee plantations passing through some spectacular scenery. Turning off the main road heading down a narrow steep lane our next few days are spent at Hacienda Venecia, a coffee farm that has been in the same family for four generations. It is a beautifully kept area with main house, swimming pool, gardens and all manner of things to do. Geoff and I pitch the tent and treat ourselves to a cold beer. It's been a long day :)) We cook our evening meals off the truck and the second night it's cook group fives turn, which is my group. We make a superb lasagne for 24 and if I say so myself it was delicious. On that note the food remains excellent.
Up at 0530 Geoff goes off to the shower in the main building. About ten minutes later 0540 a loud siren goes off for about thirty seconds. I believe it must be a siren for the plantation workers and think no more of it. Geoff returns and I get my wash bag. I was about to head off when Geoff says "for the hot water you need to press the switch to the left of the shower" Cheers mate I head off. I get in the shower turn on the taps and lovely and hot. I see the switch off to the left and was about to press it when a little bell rings in the old brain box. I look out of the window to see Geoff's cheesy grin waiting for me to press the switch which sets the siren going which will wake everyone up......he's a bad man, nearly had me but I'll get my own back.
We had a great relaxed few days taking in the scenery, the bird life and of course the delicious free freshly ground coffee. We in fact completed a coffee tour walking around the plantation, viewing the coffee process and of course drinking as much as we liked. It was very informative and thoroughly enjoyed.
Whilst at the plantation one of the guests,a chap who had been travelling for about six months, had contracted Dengue fever. He was in a bad way but had been to hospital and was receiving ongoing treatment. Thinking about that, I think as a group we have been pretty lucky. Personally I've had maybe one mosquito bite, a couple of upset stomachs and a sickness which needed treating with antibiotics. The worst complaint is the blessed sand flies which really do nip and itch insanely but even they are becoming less as we get used to them. Lets hope our luck continues, however we do practice good hygiene so fingers crossed.
It's onwards further still as we now continue through more colonial towns staying two and three nights in each.
Until the next time amigos,

Adios

Tony x

1-2. Beautiful scenery
2. Hacienda Venecia
3-11. Some of the beautiful plants in the gardens
12-13. Coffee bag and the most important tool, a cup
14-18. Coffee beans and some of the equipment
19. The photographers
20. Art
21-23. Orchids, another passion of the owners
24. One of the many peacocks.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment