Sunday 5 May 2013

Cuenca - Equador

Whilst reading the diary suddenly realised I had missed out the city of Cuenca, on my blog, before exiting Ecuador. This beautiful colonial city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with cobbled streets, interior courtyards, white churches, monasteries and much more. Here for a couple of nights it was a great chance to wander the streets, taking in the local fruit and veg market, the flower market, the street performers and just relaxing enjoying my favourite pastime, that of people watching.
Cuenca was founded by the Spaniards in 1557 but was not the first city on this site. The original city of Tomebamba was founded in 1470 by the Inca and rivalled Peru's Cuzco with its splendour. The Inca civil war however destroyed the entire city and little remains other than a few foundations.
Cuenca also has many fantastic restaurants, bars and nightclubs and this could explain why my recollection of being here is a bit faded or most certainly jaded. Deciding to make a change and go out for a nice meal Geoff and I stopped off at a micro brewery to have a drink with the rest of the guys before going out for something to eat. I made it perfectly clear to Geoff we were only having one drink and heading off. Geoff still laughs at how adamant I was. Anyway Geoff bought us a beer each, one of the real ales on display brewed on site.......pure nectar.....hmmmmm. It was only a small drink so it was my round and to have more of a taste I bought another two beers in larger glasses. Very nice, we'll just have one more !!...Stevo was there having a farewell drink to his Uncle Alex, who had sadly passed away,so it was the decent thing to do to have another drink with him. Infact Uncle Alex was a right character to the end so it was only fitting we had several. The glass got larger, the beer got tastier so a few more were supped and I lost count but it was all very sensible. At some point Stevo swerved off ably assisted or swerved by Terry who was equally as inebriated but managed to get Stevo back to the hostel and return. By this time I was feeling no pain and apparently Geoff, Kirsten, Pete, Terry, Leslie, Karen and I headed out for a Cuban meal I think. Apparently it was very good including the two rum and cokes Geoff and I drank ( can't remember them ) Anyway taxis back to the hostel with Terry and Leslie. Taxi driver no clue where we were, that made quite a few of us then. He decides to stop and turf us out. While negotiations were taking place I nipped off to the loo and wandered back towards the cab. Negotiations were still taking place so what to do now? There was a lady sat on the floor with her daughter selling beautiful red roses on the biggest stems I've ever seen. I bought one which cost ten pence. Great what do I do with it now. I tottered back to the taxi, Geoff spots me and has a cheesy grin on his face, no Geoff it's not for you, Leslie's a nice lady so I gave it to her. Right finally dumped out of the taxi and settled up we start walking, not a clue where we are. Oh what's that over there ....it's the micro brewery, yeah !!! We're all back in for a night cap. Another couple of beers and we head back to the hostel. It's about 1 am and I feel wide awake so rather than disturb the other four guys I'm sharing with I take my I pad up to the communal lounge where there's a good signal. Get to the lounge door and its locked. Flipping eck that's not very good locking the lounge door. Hmmm no flies on me I bet they haven't locked the serving hatch which leads into the lounge. Into the kitchen trying to tip toe quietly and to the hatch. Bingo it slides open ha ha. Gently does it, left leg through the hatch, body bent double or triple, but there's no pain, amazing the power of alcohol but oops what's that. Someone has placed a rickety table directly under the hatch from the other side. Left leg extended across the table, body squashed in half in the serving hatch, right foot on tiptoes trying to keep balance, feels like I'm doing the splits, this is not good, plus iPad in hand and in total darkness. Right push off with right foot, transfer weight through hatch onto table. It all goes well until the table tips with me on top of it. I slide down table, feet hit the floor and I catch table before it hits the floor and I replace the table under the hatch. Ha,ha, pleased as punch I make my way over to the nice comfy looking sofa, very slowly, as its pitch black. As I near the back of it there is a little light shining through from the landing. Just about to sit down and a pale female face appears up from the sofa, " scusa señore " after nearly messing myself I realise it's the female night staff, oh shit, quick leg it. Off out of the main doors I run as quickly and quietly downstairs to my room climb into the top bunk where I should have gone in the first place. Keeping a low profile in the morning I hope to go unnoticed and certainly not to be recognised, but with Geoff about, gob on legs :) it is impossible so I have to discreetly own up. Remarkably I don't feel too bad just a little jaded. We head off having had a great night in Cuenca and all agree its the unexpected nights like that that are the best.

Adios, hic !!

Tony x


1-4. The main square, church
5-7. Flower market
8-9. Indian street performers, the music was excellent
10-12. Local women
13-14. Butchers, hogs head
15. Market
16-17. Couple of local women.
18. Local delicacies, deep fried hamster.


































2 comments:

  1. Looks like Dalston market, are you sure you are still abroad ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ya tony just catching up on your escapades sorry been busy lots going on it is just fasinating catching up well done mate laughing my head off at your blogs etc lynn sends her love stay well catch u laters bri ps sorry if spelling a bit iffy sighn of miss spelt youth!!

    ReplyDelete