Thursday 27 December 2012

Ushuaia 2, Beaver

19.12.12

This is a special day as its my nieces birthday, so Happy Birthday to Meggy Peggy.....get that room cleaned up, you've now been named and shamed ya minger !!

Headed off into the Tierra Del Fuego National Park today looking for beaver ! Never seen one before.....now before you all start making comments this is not an easy subject to discuss :) these national parks are vast and absolutely stunning. We decided on a six mile hike, no problem, after our recent conquests. The woods were beautiful and we walked along a river until we came across the peat bogs and Castorera which is an active beaver colony. Straight away you could see evidence of the dams built by this exotic species.

Unbelievably as I walk to the edge I see a a tell tale v shaped wake going towards the dam. Took a couple of shots with the 300 mm lens but just that bit too far away.( I suppose if I had a 400 mm lens, the professional range, hint ! Lu that would be nice for my birthday, I would have got a cracking shot.) but we made the best of a bad job and I got we think a stoat with a fish in its mouth. We saw a couple of beavers, too far off to photograph, building their dams and lodges.

It was a beautiful place, as most places are that we get to, and we had an another enjoyable day amongst wildlife.

Adios

Tony x

1. Bird nesting in the middle of the river
2. Otter, fish in mouth
3. Beavers dam
4. Parakeet
5. Parakeet enjoying the dandelions.
6. Some sort of wren.











No comments:

Post a Comment